Friday, June 10, 2016

Week 26

Well, it has once more been a busy week, but this week I'm determined to get back on schedule! So, here we are. It's actually Friday, the day I flip over to week 26 completed, and I am writing this blog. WINNING!!!

So let's see... this week...

Lots of walking to and from things and appointments and with the dog. I can't say it enough, walking rocks. I shudder to think how out of shape I would feel if I weren't walking as much as I am. And I already shudder at how out of shape I feel, so that's saying something.

It's not 'cause I look pregnant. Not really. Though granted, this week I've decided I thoroughly hate my own ass and thighs (why? who knows, I'm guessing a combination of hormones and insecurity--certainly I remember them once being two distinct lumps of flesh... this is no longer the case), but whatever. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about not feeling strong. I usually feel strong. I usually feel like I can lift lots of heavy things, do pull ups, carry couches, and run for a long time. I don't feel like that right now, and I don't like it. I want to feel that way again. I'm going to try to do more things that help me feel that way.

Moving on...

Speck was moving lots for a week or so, and then was quiet for a few days. Of course that had me mildly concerned, but as long as I was feeling some movement I wasn't really worried and I kept getting the odd jab and poke so I was mostly not worried. And then the day before yesterday Speck pulled me down into nap land for a few hours in the middle of the day and I realized it must have been another growth spurt. Then again yesterday I needed extra sleep, and some more today. And ever since my nap today Speck has been moving around plenty. So... I'm going to call that a growth spurt.

I had another prenatal exam today. Nothing unusual happening. Speck's heart rate is 138, my fundal height is 26cm which is spot on, and my own blood pressure was 100 over 62, so all is normal. One funny moment at the appointment came when the doctor was checking Speck's heart rate. She was using a doppler, but was timing with her watch so she had to count and Speck kicked the doppler right as she was mid count and she lost track. I laughed. I like the doctor, she's great, but she always seems to be in such a hurry and I often feel like I'm getting pushed through my appointment quickly, so it was kind of funny that Speck kicked the doppler and made her start over. It seemed to me like Speck was saying "everyone just chill out!"

Teehee. Totally my kid (and Corey's come to that).

Despite the hurry my doctor (or the resident I see most times instead of my doctor) seems to always be in, I do feel well cared for at this point in time. She's always very thorough in asking me how I'm doing and making sure I'm not experiencing any symptoms that could be problematic. Today I finally got to hear how my ultrasound from a month ago went. The answer is "everything looks normal." I was also given paperwork to go take a gestational diabetes test in a week. It's purely routine and precautionary, I don't have any indicators to suggest I would have it, but I guess it's common enough they like to test for it regardless. I'm not looking forward to the sugary drink, but otherwise I'm not too worried about it.

Oh, and I know I keep talking about walking, but did I mention how glorious swimming is? Last week I went swimming with a friend at a tiny lake just 45 minutes out of town and it was wonderful. I have always loved swimming (back when I did triathlon it was my favorite part of training) and I felt so good in the water that I went ahead and swam the whole length of the lake. And before anyone gets too impressed it's only 700 meters long, but still, it felt really good to swim for a long time without worrying about flip turns and to get out of the water and not smell like chlorine. I can't wait to go back with my goggles and cap and make at least two laps out of it. And, I have to say, it would go a long way to making me feel strong again.

Well, I think that's about it for this week. I'm stoked to actually be posting on the appropriate day for the first time in a while. The only downside is that Corey and I haven't taken my bump picture for the week yet, so I'll have to leave you with my bumpie from Wednesday. It's only two days off anyway. Hope everyone is doing well! More next week!

(I struggled to take a non-blurry pic so I'll give you two options, blurry but showing my face and more of the bump or crisp but hidden faced and poorly angled for maximum bump exposure.)

Note my snazzy new haircut!


Oh, and two quick non-pregnancy related notes: 

1. I wrote a blog post recently about the Stanford rape victim's letter and the sentencing debacle that went along with it. If you're interested in seeing me curse in the name of severe injustice instead of just for kicks you can find that here

2. I have started a Patreon account to support my various writing endeavors and there's a whole parody YA Urban Fantasy web serial that I'm writing attached to it, should that interest you. Fair warning, the main character of that web serial is a 17 year old who curses like a Spanish sailor.


No comments:

Post a Comment